Sunday, April 29, 2007

Fair Glen

Wow!! I have finally been able to rest from my 3 day stint of camping with my Grade 6 students. I took 13 students and 2 chaperones with me to a Christian Camp known as Fair Glen. Many, many highlights:
-getting to know my students outside of the classroom. Their personalities deepened, expressing the amazing way in which God creates each person so unique and special
-exercising and strengthening my hockey playing muscles, and having the boys appreciate that a girl can play hockey too
-canoeing for the first time this year and enjoying the zipper (zig zag pattern) of some of my students style of canoeing
-rock climbing the day after hours of hockey (needless to say: I didn't make it up real far but far enough to feel the pain)
-crossing a high ropes course although my shakey legs made it even harder to grab and hold onto the now shaking ropes
-eating meals with my students, and getting special treatment from the cook (it pays to make friendships in high places)
-having them save me seats on the bus to sit with them
-devotions outside amongst the trees
-laughing with my students
-sitting back and letting someone else do the teaching
-seeing the students I supply taught from Drayton there and having them remember me (and some of the girls even remembered the outfit I had warn..... impressive considering I've already forgotten what I wore yesterday)
-getting to know the two chaperones better (I was blessed to have the two best chaperones possible with: interacting with the students, easy-going, supportive, and wanted to enjoy themselves)
-dealing with a very frusturating discipline issue (girl in boys cabin) but growing closer to the student who was under "supervisor-arrest"
-getting hugs from the girls voluntarily and and a ten second one from a male student (under truth/dare moment)
And there were many, many more moments. I look forward to Monday and getting to see my students again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home