Saturday, September 15, 2007

I've been missioned

Today I was on the other side of missions. I showed up at a church outreach program (BBQ, blown up playgrounds, dance presentation) in a van labelled "Toronto City Mission." I attended the event with a teen mom and son, her friend, and a friend of mine.

It was interesting to see how the people hosting the event interacted with me. It was weird to be at an event watching (and trying not to analyze) how they missioned to the community, including myself. The outreach was great; the young mom and friend made a commitment to Christ where the church took down their name and address. I'm really hoping they will do a follow-up.

But it made me think about how non-churched people might react to the situation. I definently felt slightly overwhelmed at times when people kept pushing programs and "this is a place for you, you should come" on me. Maybe that's because I'm independent and usually find out answers for myself and don't do well with being told what to do. I'm sure other people may need the push and encouragement.

However, in the end I definently felt like the church was very friendly, and I am considering attending there (plus if I wear the same sweater maybe some will recognize me and come chat...??)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home