Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Difference in Pay

What a difference money can make. Now before you go judging that sentence, let me finish.
This summer I was working at a Youth Centre - absolutely loved it. However, the down-side of the job is that we were required to keep statistics (ex. how many did you bring to Christ, how many did you disciple, etc.). After awhile you start to wonder if your mixing up the right motives (love for God and fellow man) with the wrong motives (one more number to add).

Well, today I realised what my motivation was. I am going out for ice cream with one of the youth who we took on camp who made a decision for Christ. And the best part of it is, I'm NOT getting paid. I feel a little bit better about my motive.

2 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so awesome Em! That youth is blessed to have you in their lives.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Matthew Kok said...

hm. I just had a talk with a wise woman yesterday and the same thing came up....getting paid to connect with youth...and seeing it as a job/obligation more than a thing to do out of passion. why is that such a difficult thing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home