Saturday, October 28, 2006

Church

I've been really struggling with church lately. I hate being a single person attending a new church. You feel downright stupid.

First you enter the church, trying to make eye contact and just search out a smile. You scan the pews, looking for the least awkward place to sit hopefully by someone you may recognize. You attend church, not as a person but as a number. No one knows you (except God). After church you leave the sanctuary and decide - do I leave or do I struggle through the next couple of minutes trying to get to know people? Who do I talk to? Where do I stand?

I know that it's a process getting to know people. But I dread going to church every Sunday. It's extremely tempting just to stay at home.

To me there are two important parts of a church: worshipping God and fellowship. Right now it's very one-sided.

Is there anybody else out there who feels the same way?

1 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think it depends on your church. despite the fact that i have been at my church for almost 5 years and know many, many people at it now I show up alone and usually sit alone. But its a choice, not something that I have to do, which I guess makes a difference too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home